Babbacombe Cliff Railway
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating490 reviews
- Book Tickets
- Map & Directions
Book Tickets Online
Opening Dates and Times
|2022 Opening (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
* 2021 Opening dates to be confirmed
Opening Hours: 9.00am until 4.45pm daily. Please check for maintenance updates on our website.
Due to Covid-Secure restrictions, please expect queues.
We would like to remind our customers that you will need to wear a face covering to travel on the Babbacombe Cliff Railway.
An English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark Key Site built between the gaps in the 73m high cliffs: a fault line between the Devonian grey limestone and Permian red rocks.
Built in 1926, the Babbacombe Cliff Railway has shuttled hundreds of thousands of holiday makers to and from Oddicombe Beach since it first opened in 1926.
Surrounded by some of the most breathtaking scenery to be found in the UK, the Cliff Railway provides a vital and non-exhausting way for locals and holiday makers alike to soak up the peaceful atmosphere and take in the amazing views as they travel to and from the water's edge.
Complete with beach cafe, seasonal water sports and deckchair hire, it really is a must-visit beach.
While you're there, make sure you keep your eyes peeled for seals and the dolphins.
Babbacombe Cliff Railway is in excellent condition, there is a Seasonal Visitor Centre (free admission) on the beach and a host of fantastic events with hoards of people enjoying some great times on the railway and on Oddicombe Beach. Due to Covid-19, our Visitor Centre will remain closed for the 2021 season.
Since 2009 the Cliff Railway has been run by a Community Interest Company which became a Charitable Incorporated Organisation in March of 2019.
The purpose of the Community Interest Company is to preserve, protect and promote the Babbacombe Cliff Railway.
In 2012 Babbacombe Cliff Railway opened a Visitor Centre on Oddicombe Beach which is free to wander around so why not pop in and learn more about the history of this fabulous, funicular railway?
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good120
- SVacherPortsmouth, United KingdomA fun ride on a funicular2nd May 2022Down in the area for a family wedding we were visiting the model village, luckily I spotted the cliff railway on the map. If you get down early there is plenty of on street free parking. At £3 for a... Read full review
- Ken hSouthampton, England, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesUnique experience9th May 2022Had a nice walk down coastal path, but did not fancy walking back up so used the Railway . Has a nice little museum near by explained. How came about. Read full review
- emmawN1251FWWorthing, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely experience17th May 2022We visited here with my family, what a cute little experience. There is a little cafe at the bottom although they were closing up and weren’t serving ice cream at 4pm. The little gift shop was really... Read full review
- 2m distancing in place
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment only
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
Babbacombe Cliff Railway
Map & Directions
From Torquay Harbour head up the main Babbacombe Road, turn right at Babbacombe Downs Road and the Cliff Railway is situated on your right hand side.
Beautiful Babbacombe Downs has the highest cliff top promenade in England, and on a clear…0.06 miles away
Babbacombe is everything that a great British seaside resort should be – with fabulous…0.09 miles away
BABBACOMBE MODEL VILLAGE
Step into a world of miniature marvels!
Bring back those…0.17 miles away
Wander back in time, starting towards the end of Queen Victoria’s reign. Visit our…0.18 miles away
In 2007 the English Riviera was designated a Global Geopark and is one of just 7 sites in…0.18 miles away
Hidden away between Babbacombe and St. Marychurch, Tessier Gardens is a small and…0.18 miles away
An asset to the English Riviera for over eighty years Babbacombe Theatre is renowned for…0.31 miles away
East of Torquay lies Babbacombe Beach. A beautiful arc of shingle beach, this unspoilt…0.31 miles away
This is a great beach for all ages! paddling for the young and a variety of watersports…0.3 miles away
The Award Winning Spa Room at the Cary Arms in Devon offers guests the chance for total…0.32 miles away
Torquay United have represented the local community for over 120 years. Formed in 1899 by…0.4 miles away
If you're looking for a pleasant, idyllic spot for somewhere to relax then Watcombe is…1.05 miles away
These are mature woods with steep hills. They are quite dense and may not be suitable for…1.06 miles away
Between Torquay and Babbacombe sits Anstey’s Cove. Quiet, peaceful and incredibly…1.06 miles away
New Central Cinema in Torquay
NEW CENTRAL CINEMA 90-96 Union Street Torquay, TQ2…1.1 miles away
Explore underground at Europe’s top Stone Age cave, with an extensive labyrinth of…1.11 miles away